Sunday, March 15, 2009

Miracles and Miri


I started Friday morning finishing a puzzle while I listened to scriptures and then the ensign via the Internet. I was feeling pretty happy so when my Brother in Law called and asked if I could watch my Nephew for the day I said sure bring it on. I continued listening to the ensign and began cleaning out the storage room which was out of control and was in great need of organization. The storage room was strung out into piles, and I was getting rid of a lot of stuff while I was sorting so I was in a good place. Then Miri happened!

I can't remember exactly the order of the events but it went something like this. She destroyed my puzzle so I put her in the tub to give her something fun to do. While taking her bath she pored all the shampoo and conditioner out into the tub with her, but it was cheap shampoo and conditioner so I told myself "no big deal". Then the phone rang and it was our Realtor. When I was talking to the Realtor who was informing me of a showing of our very messy house in just 2 hours Miri managed to pull all the newly washed towels off the hooks and put them in the soapy water filled tub with her. If I had know that this was just the beginning of Miri's 2 year old rampage for the day I may have called the realtor back and said I couldn't show the house. I suppose that's one of life's beauties, by not knowing the future we sometime reach a higher level of our potential than we would by knowing.

I got off the phone with the Realtor and looked around me. I knew that getting the house clean would be a true miracle. The bigger miracle would be if I could keep my cool through it all. Most the time when there is a showing I become really stressed and grumpy. I turn into a kind of monster and so do my children of course(Monkey see Monkey do). I decided a while back that I needed to learn to control my temper through these showings before I should expect the Lord to bless us with the selling of our house.



I was determined to make today the day that I wasn't filled with regret and failure because I lost my cool. And that's when the true miracle happened. With the Spiritual strength I had gained from the early morning study I set forth to speed clean my house, take care of my kids (plus one) and all the while being nice and maintaining self control.


I got Miri out of the tub dressed her and put her, Gabriel and Britton in front of a Movie and started the mad dash through the house. After a short while I went to check on the kids and Miri had manged to wet her pants and was running around bottomless. I sent Miri upstairs with the boys to get a pull-up on and some pants, then went back to work. Next thing I knew Gabe came to me telling me Miri, had gotten into a cake and it was all over the upstairs kitchen. I washed Miri off, still bottomless. Aspen had just arrived home, so I then sent Aspen upstairs with Mir to put her in a pull-up and some new pants. I put the boys to work cleaning up the mess. Then went back to work.



Aspen must have gotten distracted because next thing I knew Miri was back downstairs naked and squatting in a box I had pulled from the storage room. The perfect box to fit some clutter in from the upstairs table. I looked at those little blue eyes and I new she was marking her territory. I said something like "uggg I really hope your not peeing in that box," I picked her up and yes there in the box sat a nice little puddle. She looked at me and I actually caught a glimpse of guilt in her eyes I think. I briskly put her on the toilet and rushed to clean up the mess while shouting commands to the other kids to sit on their beds or help clean please.


I was uttering many silent prayers through out this ordeal and it was about that time I remembered that Grandma Coralie wasn't working that day so I sent Aspen to make an SOS call to her. Coralie called back and without hesitation agreed to take my little Miri so I could have some hope of cleaning my house.


Aspen got Miri ready. As for the boys they had mostly stay out of trouble except for some defiant statements from Gabe like "I'm not going to help, and I don't want to sit on my bed" Coralie came at about 40 min before the showing. She was my angel who truly saved me. She offered to take all the kids and I was so relieved.


I decide having Aspen to help clean would be best so she stayed behind. Aspen and I cleaned the rest of the house to a respectable level and I even had time to vacuum the upstairs floors, but not the stairs where a few cake crumbs stilled remained. O' well. I keep my cool better than most showings and felt more happy and successful by the end. It felt like a true Miracle. This day is a great example of the miracles that can come from Spiritual study, prayers, determination, angels (Coralie) and even Miri's.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story! I would have lost my cool with the first incident. Coralie is awesome. We are jealous that you have her so close. And speaking of angels, you have been mine more times than I can count, and many other people's I'm sure. Families are a beautiful thing, and you and I married into the best. I don't know how I ever lived without you guys.

    ReplyDelete